Almond and raspberry cake, Bakewell tart.
(For 12 servings or for 1 cake)
Prep and cook time: 1 h 45 min
Chilling time: 1 h
Can be frozen
Ingredients for the pastry:
- 200 g | 1 1/2 cups plain flour,
plus extra for dusting
- 65 g | 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 120 g | 1/2 cup unsalted butter,
cold and cubed
- 2 - 4 tbsp Cajuwell almond milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
Ingredients for the filling and topping:
- 175 g | 3/4 cup unsalted butter,
- 175 g | 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, at room temperature,
- 175 g | 1 1/4 cups ground almonds
- 3 tbsp Cajuwell almond milk,
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 250 g | 1 cup seedless
- 80 g | 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1 handful redcurrants, to serve
- 1 - 2 tbsp icing sugar, for dusting
- For the pastry: Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor. Pulse several times until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tbsp almond milk and pulse until a rough dough comes together around the blades, adding more almond milk as needed to bring it together.
- Turn out the pastry and shape into a disc. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- After chilling, preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a large round approximately 1/2 cm | 1/4" thick. Drape the pastry into a 23 cm | 9" springform fluted tart tin, pressing it into the base and sides with your fingertips.
- Prick all over with a fork and cut away any excess overhanging pastry. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
- Blind-bake for 15 minutes, remove the beans and paper, and return the oven until the base is evenly golden in colour, about 5-8 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the beaten egg. Return to the oven for 2 minutes to seal the egg wash before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- For the filling and topping: Beat together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, and then fold in the ground almonds, almond milk, and almond extract.
- Spread the raspberry jam across the base of the pastry in an even layer. Spoon the almond filing on top, spreading it out the edges with a damp offset spatula or the back of a damp tablespoon. Evenly scatter the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake until the filling is risen, dry to the touch, and golden-brown, about 35-45 minutes; a toothpick should come out clean when ready.
- Remove the tart to a wire rack to cool completely in its tin. When ready to serve, turn out and garnish with redcurrants and a light dusting of icing sugar before slicing.